3.12.2008

The Institue of Abandoned Dreams

Way back when Chris and I were newlyweds, I completed an application for the Institute of Children's Literature. They sent me an acceptance letter, but I never signed up for any classes. And in the nine years since then, the Institute has sent me letters over and over again about signing up, which I've always just thrown away.

This afternoon I received a letter from IoCL stamped with "What should we do with your name?" on the front. Inside was a notice that they'd like my permission to remove my name from their files; all I have to do is turn the letter over and sign the form on the back. So I turn to the form to sign and return, and this is what it says:

"Please purge my name from your file and discard it. I've given up on any dreams I might have had about writing for children."

Isn't that hilarious?

6 comments:

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

that is funny

Jen and Alec said...

That is hilarious! Maybe you should write a note to go with it that says something like, "I hate all the orphans in the whole world!" If you don't get it, you should watch Nacho Libre. It's almost worth it just for that quote.

Lindsey said...

Ha Ha! That is funny! Or you could follow along the Nacho Libre (love that show) front and tell them:

"You think I don't know a butt load of crap about writing for children - but I DO!"

Unknown said...

Oh Katie, don't give up on your dreams. What's nine more years of recieving letters from the IoCL in exchange for keeping your dreams?

Anonymous said...

I like Stephanies comment! I agree
100% with her. Thanks Steph.

Ryan and Lindsay said...

I also agree with Steph... Don't unsubscribe yourself! You can be the author and Haley can be your illustrator! ;)