Oh man, I hate to gloss over the past five months. But the further behind I fall on this sad little blog, the less motivated I feel to get going again. We had a lovely Christmas and trip to San Diego in December, but I've posted a gajillion photos of both of those over the years and the pics from this past year are not all that different. So I'll start with January.
Carter's Eighth Birthday
Carter turned eight in January. This kid is obsessed with a video game called Skylanders Giants and requested that theme for his cake. So I tried to replicate the "Portal of Power" that is used to connect the characters to the game console.
Haley and the Bee
Haley seriously loves spelling bees. Over Christmas break she recorded every word from her study list onto her mp3 player so she could quiz herself. Cutest thing ever. And her hard work paid off when she won the 5th grade bee!
Haley and the Bee from Kate on Vimeo.
- Drew: "Mom, can you turn off the music? It's making my body dance, but I don't want to dance!"
- Adam: "I'm so happy that I'm alive!"
- Chris: "Can I have one of your Starbursts?" Adam: "You can have all of these over here." Chris: "Thanks, buddy!" Adam: "You're welcome. Those ones aren't mine. They're Haley's."
- Drew: "Mom, you can throw away all of my stuffed animals when I'm a grown up. 'Cause then I won't be scared of the dark anymore."
- Adam: "When robbers get caught by the police they have to go to jail. And they have to stay there until they promise that they will be good guys. And they have to take off their robber hats and shirts and put on good guy clothes."
- Adam: "Why are people so freakishly crazy about medals and trophies? I'm only crazy about money."
- Adam: "Mom. Jesus is a lightsaber." Me: "Jesus is a lightsaber? How so?" Adam: "He's a lightsaber because He saves people." Me: "I think you mean life-saver." Adam: "Oh yeah. That."
- Drew: "How old do you have to be to be President?" Chris: "Thirty-five." Drew: "That's OK. I'll just play with toys until then."
- Adam: "Mom, when I grow up I want to be President. I will ruuuule aaaall the states!"
- Adam: "This [dinner] is too healthy. I will need to eat some sugar to get rid of it."
- Haley got first place for her grade in the science fair.
- In sacrament meeting somebody a couple rows up moved in their chair, and the chair made a farting noise against the basketball court floor. Drew scolded, “Daa-aad!” Really loudly.
- Drew’s teacher asked him to count as high as he could, so he sat up straight and tall, and in a high, squeaky falsetto, he started counting “1 ... 2 ... 3 ...!”
- Me: “You guys are so stinkin’ cute.” Adam, “You mean stinky and cute!”
- Drew: “I’m not the bad guy! I’m just a twin.”
- Adam and Drew always ask if something is for twins. “Is this a twin movie? Is this treat for twins?”
- Adam: “...but Grandma’s not my favorite.” Me: “Who’s your favorite?” Adam: “You, Mommy.”
- Chris: “If you guys don’t quit it, I’m going to punish you.” Adam: "Are you going to punish us in the face?”
- Me: “I see a bare bottom!” Drew: “That’s not a bear bottom. It’s a kid bottom!”
- Me: “What has hands but can’t clap?” Drew: “A clock.” Me: “How did you know that?” Drew: “Because clocks have hands, but they can’t clap.”
- Adam and Drew can ride bikes without training wheels.
- I found Adam and Drew playing a game of “I found your penis” when they were supposed to be getting dressed.
- Carter got an invitation into the Gifted & Talented program at school. When I read the part about “challenges,” Carter groaned, “Aww, I hate challenges.”
- Adam: “But Mom, choking each other is fun!”
- Adam and Drew can swim.
- We were listening to a CD of scripture mastery songs. On 2 Nephi 2:25 (“Adam fell that men might be…”), Adam says, “Haley, I don’t want to fall.”
- Drew is my future rock star. This boy loves to sing and hums to himself constantly.
- Adam fell at the playground and needed three stitches in his chin.
- Me: “Adam, eat your lunch.” Adam: “But but but … I have a headache in my tummy!”
- Carter: “When women play football, they have to wear belly shirts.” Me: “Where have you seen that?” Carter: “On commercials.”
- All three boys were trying to talk at once, so in exasperation Carter yelled, “Stop talk-blocking me!”
- Adam: “How do you make skin?” Drew: “I think you use salt, and an apple, and glue.”
- Adam and Drew had some separation anxiety from each other today in primary. When we tried to have them sit with their classes, Drew kept on asking, “Where my Geigo go?”
- I kissed Adam goodnight, then Adam said, “Thanks Mom! Good kiss!” Laughing, I replied, “You’re my silly boy.” And Adam said, “You’re my mom.”
- Me, singing: “Let’s hear it for the boy…” Carter, singing: “Let’s hear it for the girl!” Adam, singing: “Let’s hear it for the twins!”
- Adam: “Geigo, wooka my car!” Drew, nodding approvingly, “Coo, Geigo. Coo.” (Cool)
- Drew: “Thank you so much! Put paper on my mouth ouchie!” (I put a wet paper towel on his split lip.)
- Carter: “Running around is actually kind of fun!”
- Me, “Good morning, Adam. How’d you sleep?” Adam, “On my pillow!”
- Haley: “Mom, do you think that reading for an hour will take a long time?”
- Drew: “I want pancake!” Me, “This is a waffle.” Drew, “Ah, yes. Waffle.”
- Carter: “If you make a bad choice, you go to spirit prison. But if you do something really bad, you go to jail.”
- Carter: “What are stretch marks?” Me: “Sometimes if you get really fat your skin stretches and it leaves a mark.” Carter: “Do you have stretch marks?” Me: “Do you think I’m fat?” Carter: “You’re kind of fat.”
- Drew: “Adam, scratch my bum.”
- Drew: “Mama, I like my knees.”
- Me: “What’s on your ear?” Adam: “A booger.”
- Adam: “Woah! He’s the man! Drew, you’re the man!”
- Adam: “Mom, I like my Haley.”
- Drew got stung by a bee.
- Anytime Adam meets or even sees somebody new, he’ll point to them and say, “Mom, I love him.”
- Drew’s first prayer was mostly unintelligible, but we did hear him thank Heavenly Father for the Mickey Mouse ferris wheel [at California Adventure].
- While watching “Music & the Spoken Word” and seeing nature scenes set to music, Carter asked “Mom, are we looking at pictures of Heaven?”
- Adam and Drew kept calling the P-Town Tower the “Pee Tower.”
- Haley: “I promise. And I never break my promises. And if I break them on accident, I never do it again.”
- Adam put his arms around my neck and said, “Uh, Mom? So … I like you.”
- Carter hated dinner, so he asked if he could go to his room for a minute. When he came back he said, “I prayed that Heavenly Father would help me eat my dinner.” Then as he walked to the table he psyched himself up by saying, “Get a hold of yourself, boy!”
- Adam: “Mom, my grilled cheese is in my butt.” Me: “Adam, we do not say ‘butt’.” Adam: “Oh, sorry. My grilled cheese is not in my butt.”
- Me: “Goodnight monkey.” Drew: “I’m not a monkey, I’m Drew! And Adam’s not a monkey, we’re twins!”
- Carter: “You’re pretty small for a mom.”
- Chris: “Goodnight, sleep tight, don’t let the doggies bite.” Drew: “Doggies don’t bite! Doggies pee on me.” (Which did happen a couple months earlier.)
- Haley won her class spelling bee without even studying.
- Haley: “I’m Obi Benola!” Carter: “No, it’s Obi Wan Genobi.”
- Carter: “The boy with eyes like this (squeezes eyes with hands) is a good soccer player!”
- Carter finally caught the scoring bug and he’ll do anything for a goal.
- Carter: “Please bless that we can get the Wii back soon…”
- Adam said and signed “more” and then made his water sound (“aah”) to let me know that he wanted a drink.
- Haley took 1st place in the K-2 division of the school Inspirations contest.
- Drew said “fish” and “wawa” (water). He also signed water. Adam signed water too.
- Adam said “fish.”
- Haley’s first sleepover.
- I guess our napping days are over. If I leave Adam and Drew in their cribs, I inevitably return to find them both naked.
- Adam and Drew: “Look! A bubble!” (after Drew farted in the tub).
- Haley: “Store bought valentines are nice, but homemade ones are better because you know they were made with love.”
- To Adam, everything is “a bubble!”
- Carter: “This song is awesome!” Haley: “Yeah, it’s so groovy.”
- Adam: “Where are you?”
- Carter: “I’m so happy I could just hug myself!”
- Haley: “I’m never going to give up soccer.” Carter: “I’m never going to give up Haley.”
- Adam: “eck-tang-oo” (rectangle).
- Drew: “Ta-da!” while throwing his hands in the air.
- Me: “Carter, do you know what kind of bird came down from heaven after Jesus was baptized?” Carter: “A woodpecker?”
- Drew loves to hand things to people and then say “There you go!”
- Me: “Here, card master.” Carter: “I’m not the card master.” Me: “What are you?” Carter: “Just a little, little boy.”
- Adam loves to do the "rah-rah-rah" part of the Cougar fight song.
- We put Adam and Drew on the prayer roll, and they are doing so much better! The PEEP ladies said that they can’t believe that they’re the same boys.
- Adam: “Snow all gone!”
- Drew: “Where are you?”
- Drew: “There you go!”
- Adam and Drew both say rectangle, circle, and triangle.
- Drew: “Oh no, where’d they go?”
- Adam: “Hey, no, no, no!”
- Adam says “up” as a request to be picked up.
- Drew: “Spider, Oh no!”
- Drew says hippo, Haley and cookie.
- Adam: “Oh, sorry!”
- Drew: “Right there.”
- Adam and Drew both say cookie.
- Drew: “Uh oh, where do we go?” and “A bus.”
- Adam: “Hmmm. All gone!”
- Drew loves to run around yelling, “To the rescue!”
- Carter: “Mom, look at her. She’s jaywalking!”
- The boys love Dora. Drew says a lot of things from the show: “Oh no!”, “Where do we go?”, “Yeah, there it is!”, etc.
- Adam says family members’ names.
- Adam: “Grody!”
- Adam and Drew both say “Peek-a-boo.”
- Drew: “Drew! (He was pointing at a picture of Adam.)
- Haley: “Thanks Mom. You never let me down.”
- Drew: “We go!” (As in “here we go,” which he says for “let’s go.”)
- Adam and Drew will say pretty much anything we tell them to say.
- Carter: “And now if you’ll excuse me, I must get back to my teeth brushing.”
- Me: “Carter, do you know what clouds are made of?” Carter: “Yeah, fluff.” Me: “Nope, try again.” Carter: “Lambs.”
- Carter: “Mom! There’s a toilet in my mouth!” (A piece from “Operation” had fallen into his bag of popcorn and ended up in his mouth.)
- I was able to spend the morning at Legoland with Adam and Drew out of their strollers, and it wasn’t too bad. We even went on the train ride.
- Adam and Drew especially are getting so much better at communicating.
- I can’t remember the exact words, but when Chris said something about Grandpa being young, Haley said something to the effect of, “If 68 isn’t old, what is?”
- Carter: “Me and Adam and Drew are all outside. It’s like we’re brothers.”
- Carter: “I don’t like Heaven because all you try to do is good things.” Me: “What’s wrong with that?” Carter: “Well, I like to do good things. I just don’t like Heaven because there’s no video games.”
- Drew: “Ew! Poopy!" (After examining his dinner.)
- Adam calls me “Da” and Drew “Diego.” It’s funny because we’re the two with whom he interacts most – you’d think he’d know our names best.
- Since I’ll be at girls’ camp on my actual birthday, I got a surprise birthday party this morning with decorations, gifts, games, breakfast burritos, and songs by Haley and Carter – pretty much the best Monday morning ever.
- Adam and Drew: “Haley! Where are you? Carter! Where are you?” (It’s the first day of school.)
- When we were getting out of the van, Drew looked behind himself and said, “Come on, Super Why!” to the (imaginary) TV character.
- Adam hurt his toe and then took me upstairs for an “ouchie toe sticker” (i.e. Band Aid).
- Haley, on the day after Debby passed away: “I’m so sad for Anthony. I want to call him, but I don’t know what to say.”
- Me, after hearing a cry: “Carter, did you just hit Adam?” Carter: “Well, he hit me back!”
- Haley, on the day Great Grandpa Waldo passed away: “Why do people in our family keep dying?”
- Adam, with a blanket over his head: “Wooka me! Dinosaur! Rawr!”
- Haley: “I never want to go into a volcano with the twins. That would be freaky!”
- Grandpa: “Are you Drew?” Adam: “No, I Ah-muh.”
- Adam, every time he shares: “I so nice!”
- Haley won a prize at the ward Halloween party for her Alice in Wonderland costume.
- Adam and Drew’s missionary costumes (with helmets & backpacks) were a hit.
- Carter, on Adam and Drew's 3rd birthday: “They don’t look older.”
- Adam flipped out when we cut his birthday cake. He was so mad - I think he wanted to keep it intact forever.
- Adam, on his first taste of egg nog: “That is sooo good!”
- Drew is so agreeable. Adam always tells him what to do and he always replies “OK!” For example, Adam: “Wes go, Geigo!” Drew: “OK!”
- Adam and Drew really, really love to ride the school bus. Especially Drew. When it pulls up he jumps and screams “School bus!”
- Whenever Adam doesn’t want something, he’ll yell, “No! No! No thanks!”
- Drew was trying to give Adam his balloon. Adam said “No thanks!” so Drew opened the door and let the balloon fly away. Luckily Adam didn’t seem too upset.
- Carter: “Jesus wants me for to say BEEP!”
- Adam shakes his head “no.”
- Drew says "Mamama" when he’s sad.
- Carter singed his eyelashes and eyebrow on his birthday candles.
- Carter, while saying the blessing on the food: “Once upon a time … oops … Dear Heavenly Father…”
- Haley: “I like to put my hand on my hip. It just works for me.”
- Drew walks.
- Drew climbs onto the table and across the couches.
- Carter: “Why are you a mean Mommy?”
- We had a rough day: Drew fell off a chair and got a goose egg on his forehead, then Adam fell all the way down the stairs.
- Carter always calls Haley “My sister.”
- Haley is all about getting up really early and cleaning the whole house (toys), getting dressed, turning on cartoons for the boys, getting the breakfast dishes out, etc. before anybody else gets up.
- All three boys have croup.
- Carter deadpanned, “That was interesting,” after he and Adam threw up simultaneously.
- Carter: “This does not look like a cute little dinner.”
- Carter: “There’s a skunk in your bum, and it sprayed me in the nose!”
- Adam says “Mama.”
- Adam walks almost exclusively now.
- Haley: “When I grow up, I want to be a teacher. A nice one, not one that yells all day.”
- Drew walks almost exclusively.
- Adam and Drew got balloons at the store, so Drew has been crying all day because Adam has done nothing but steal Drew’s balloon away.
- Drew waves.
- Haley: “Is it OK if I drop this [tiny sequin] on my carpet instead of throwing it away? I want something of mine to stay here when we move.”
- Adam says “Nana” (banana).
- Drew says “Nah-nah” (no-no).
- Carter: “I miss our old home.” Me: “What do you miss about it?” Carter: “The carpet.”
- Haley: “I watch High School Musical, so I kind of figured out how to play basketball.”
- Chris: “You’re giving me $1.07 for Father’s Day?” Haley: “Yup, you’re worth it.”
- Drew says his name.
- Adam and Drew play “So Big.”
- Last week Drew stuffed his nose with corn. So far nine kernels have been extracted or sneezed out.
- Drew says, “Cheese!”
- Adam and Drew need speech therapy.
- Carter: “Wendy’s! Wendy’s is my favorite place to get a cheeseburger and water!”
- Carter: “Mom, can we have a surprise party for my birthday?”
- Adam says “ball.”
- Drew says “Where’d it go?”
- Drew says “up.”
- Me: “Carter, turn it down.” Carter: “Mom, I can’t! This song is just too cool!”
- Grandpa: “Carter, what do we do on Christmas Eve?” Carter: “We don’t open presents.”
- Haley: “I have the hiccups. I think I got them from Avery. She had hiccups yesterday.”
- Carter: “I’m not crying; I’m trying to keep my eyes from leaking.”