2.05.2010

Remember the Time

I was an amazing journal-keeper when I was younger. OK, that's not really true. What I was, was an amazing chronicler of every second I spent with every boy I ever liked. But then I got married and became considerably less boy-crazy, and therefore less interested in journal-keeping. I have exactly one journal for my entire marriage with exactly three entries in it, each of which begins with "Wow, I can't believe that I haven't written in X years! A lot has happened since I last wrote ..."

But then I started having crazy kids who did a lot of really funny things, things that I knew that I'd never remember if I didn't write them down. I really wanted to keep a journal of their goings-on, but I was so overwhelmed by the idea of sitting down every night and trying to fill pages of a journal. Enter the calendars.
I keep the current year's calendar in a drawer in the kitchen so it's easy to whip out when the kids do something noteworthy. And because the squares are so dad gum small, I feel no pressure to write more than a sentence or two.The calendars have become some of our most prized possessions. Haley already loves to read through them, although she debates me on whether she actually said some of the things I wrote down! And I think it's interesting to look back and remember where my head was at during any given month.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Kate, that is an awesome idea. I still keep a journal. . . I take it with me to the mall and write in it while the kids play on the little play land, or in the summer at the park. But my journal doesn't chronicle those little things. Some of them I get in the blog, but the calendar is a great idea. i am going to try it.

ottspot said...

I've done a calendar too! So much easier than a baby book for marking down all the firsts. I need to do one again...

I also print my blog whenever winkflash has a flat rate sale (they are having one right now until the 10th) and count that as a journal.

Jenny said...

ooo, ooo....Love it!