12.27.2011

A Merry Little Christmas

I'm supposed to be thinking up some creative and interesting post about our family's Christmas festivities.  You know, an interesting story, cleverly related to the things we've been doing this month.  But I'm drawing a blank.  So much so, that instead of writing something that wouldn't make my English professors cringe, I'm getting completely distracted by Tangled on TV - even though my kids are fast asleep upstairs - and thinking that, if I grew my hair out really long, Chris and I could be Flynn and Rapunzel for Halloween next year. Oh well.  On with the completely not creative list of what's been going on this month.

Visiting Santa
The kids were so cute with Santa.  Our visit was short, though, because it was just too dang cold outside.
 
 
 
After the kids put in their requests with Santa we ducked into Blickenstaff's toy store to thaw out, and Drew got the scare of his life from a clown in a box. Seriously, can we all agree to outlaw clowns? (My favorite part of this video is Drew's nervous little giggle after his big startle.)

Christmas with the MoTab
Haley, my mom and I were able to see the Tabernacle Choir's Christmas concert this year.  It was so amazing, and even more so to see it through Haley's eyes.  She was completely blown away by the sets, the orchestra, the dancing, the snowfall, and especially by the choir.  After the concert was over Haley remarked, "I feel different."  I could tell that she was overcome by the spirit, and it left me wondering whether cutting arts funding in schools isn't just another of Satan's ploys to keep kids from feeling the spirit, by limiting their exposure to it through music.  At any rate, the whole evening was magical and an experience that neither of us will forget.
 
 
Welcome Ellie Noel
We got the best Christmas gift ever this year: Lindsay and Ryan welcomed Ellie Noel on the 20th.  How great is that name?  Ellie is the tiniest, sweetest thing in my world and I love her to pieces.  I can't wait to get over the horrible cough I have so I can spend some real time with her.
Getting Crafty
A while ago I saw this image on Pinterest and decided that it was the most perfect outfit ever.
I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I had to have it.  But since I didn't know where to get it, I tried to make a knockoff.  And since I had about a thousand coupons for JoAnn's, I grabbed some red satin and made a Christmas skirt for Haley, too. 
And I was having so much fun putting my remedial crafting skills to work, I decided that Ellie Bean needed an outfit for her first Christmas as well.  Lindsay was nice enough to humor me, even though the holly berry headband is bigger than Ellie's head!
White Elephant Day
Christmas Eve was fun.  We spent the day here with my family, eating ourselves sick, watching the kids do their gift exchange (in fact, Carter kept calling Christmas Eve "White Elephant Day") and of course watching Christmas Vacation.
 How cute are Ellie and Miles?  Can you believe that these two are only three months apart?
 
 
Christmas Surprises
Christmas morning we awoke to a special surprise: all three boys had pinkeye.  Hooray!  And since I'm still coughing myself into an early grave, we decided to stay home from church.  I felt very guilty, it being Christmas day and all.  And I felt even more guilty when we went to my parents' house later that afternoon despite our illnesses.  I guess I thought that my ward would thank us for keeping our germs at home, but that my mom would probably be very sad if we didn't go over.  And I for one am not about to make my own mom sad on her birthday!  Clearly we wouldn't miss her surprise party for anything.
So that was our month.  We hope that each of you have had a lovely holiday season and send our best wishes your way for a wonderful 2012!

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

What a fantastic post! Everything in this post made me so happy. I completely agree with your thought on Satan's plan to destroy the Spirit by cutting the arts! Sweet Haley's comment...wow. If you EVER call your crafting skills "remedial" I will come out to Utah and strangle you, you are crazy. You are amazing. That skirt is fabulous. And those babies! Oh, those babies.... Wow. Adorable.

Kallie said...

I'm gonna have to hire you to make me custom clothing! cute cute cute. and thanks again for letting us hang out ALLLLL DAY at your house -- you are a wonderful hostess. (we played Brownetzee last night for FHE and it was a HIT! thank you so much - it was a perfect present for me.)

lisa said...

merry christmas! your talents are beyond "craftiness" and entering the "professional" stage. you are incredible! and lindsay and cam's babes- nothing could be sweeter. we all enjoyed your adorable christmas card sent to my parents... once again, beyond crafty :) give your mom a belated birthday hug from all of us florida brownes!

Reed's Rat Race said...

I have to say, you are one amazing woman! I want to be like you when I grow up! And I love reading about your family.

Sarah and Cam said...

I can't believe you made that skirt! I'm with Kal, I need some custom clothes! Or at least you need to teach me the tricks of the trade! That skirt is amazing! I want one! ;-) We had a great Christmas Eve and Day with you guys!! Thanks for having us all over!

Unknown said...

The clothes are beautiful. I just want to join your guilt trip. We didn't go to church either...I felt bad but we were still in our pj's.cant go to church like that.