3.05.2012

And Then It Was March

Holy moly.  I was called to a new position at church last month that is sure to be the death of this poor little blog.  I kind of feel like I've gone from being the mother of  four children to being the mother of 35!  I've been so blessed, though, and am loving every minute of it.  Still, "every minute of it" is basically every minute that I have to spare, so I don't know how often I'll be blogging in the foreseeable future.  (As if that's any different from what I've been doing!)

February brought big changes for our little guys, though.  Adam and Drew tested out of their special needs preschool!  When they started on their third birthday, they were in the bottom 1% of their peers in their communication skills.  Now, only 15 months later, they're right on track and perfectly average!  (As I typed that, I realized how funny it sounds to be celebrating "perfectly average.")  I don't remember what their cognitive scores were when they started school, but now they're well above average, testing at about 80-85% of their peers.

Funny story: as part of the cognitive tests, the kids are asked to count as high as they can.  Drew's teacher reported that this portion of his test went like this:

Mrs. Deby: "Drew, can you count for me?  Like this: one, two, three..."
Drew: "One, two three..."
Mrs. Deby: "Right, but do it as high as you can."
So then Drew sat up straight and tall in his chair, and in a super-high, squeaky falsetto, went, "One! Two! Three!"

 OK, so that's not as funny in print.  But trust me, it was hilarious.

We owe so much to the boys' teachers and teacher's aides.  They have shown so much love and patience with our boys and have truly changed our lives.  I'm so sad that the boys can't go to school anymore (until the fall anyway, when they'll start a "normal" preschool), but I am grateful that they don't need special education anymore.  I'm so glad that they're finally caught up and able to behave and communicate as normal 4-year-olds!  When they want to, of course.
 Adam & Ms. Becky
 Drew & Mrs. Deby 

3 comments:

Ryan and Lindsay said...

I still think that story is funny in print. Love those little guys!

lisa said...

thats very exciting news about the twins! way to go guys! and thats also exciting news about your calling. sounds like primary president? anything dealing with 35 kids is either primary or relief society ;) I'm still the primary pres in our ward and its finally starting to click!

Larissa said...

that is a cute story!